This site was the original railway yard (1858), station and cattle yard. Back in the day, this was the half way point on the rail line system between Chicago and Montreal. In 1878, Ailsa Craig was considered to be second only to Calgary as a cattle shipping point. The rail station was torn down in 1970. Later this site was the location of the Co-op feed mill and Stewart Seeds, well known for its hybrid seed production. Currently, the collection of buildings still standing on this 9.5 acre site are being used for seasonal storage, commercial and residential rental housing, and are owned by Station Manor and Main Street Storage Unlimited 1263119 Ont., Inc.
As one of the owners, Joe Lenders chose the colours and design of this quilt block because of similarities to the emblem on his 1951 International pick-up truck, built in Hamilton.
Such interesting history connected to this site!
Name of sponsor of Barn Quilt : Joe Lenders property
115 Craig St., Ailsa Craig, ON
Latitude : 43.1475 Longitude : -81.53674