Bloomfield was established by Loyalist settlers in 1782, including Captain Simon Baxter, a remarkable character who survived incredible hardships and persecution during the American Revolution. While fighting for the British, he was captured, imprisoned and tortured by American soldiers; he carried bayonet scars to his death. Baxter managed to survive the war and settled along the scenic Kennebecasis River in Bloomfield and began a new life. In 1797 he deeded 2-1/2 acres of his land grant to the church for the sum of 5 shillings: “for and in consideration of the love, goodwill, and attachment to the Church of England as established by Law, and for the purpose of erecting a house of Public Worship of Almighty God.” Church plans were still underway in 1804 when Simon and his wife passed away – they would never see the long hoped for church realized. They were buried together near the large rock close to their own house. In 1811 Christ Church was erected, and was consecrated on July 18, 1826 by the Right Reverend John Inglis, Bishop of Nova Scotia. The building originally stood on the opposite side of the road – where the graveyard is situated. In 1838 John C. Hayes donated a piece of land across the road and the building was relocated to its present site. The move was accomplished by Isaac Raymond who placed the building on rollers and moved the structure using 13 yokes of oxen. Once in its new location the tower was added to the structure. The church has served its community ever since, celebrating significant anniversaries in 1911, 1936, 1961 and in 2011. It has been a beacon of light for many and as such, is fittingly represented by the quilt pattern, Diamond Star.
Name of sponsor of Barn Quilt : Christ Church Anglican & Hall
41 Bloomfield Station Road, Bloomfield, New Brunswick
Latitude : 45.58293 Longitude : -65.7632