The history of this rural community park dates back to 1924 when 5 acres was given to the former Thames Road Presbyterian Church for the children as a recreation area. Over the years, the church name changed to Thames Road Elimville United, but the church folk continue to look after the park. Surrounded by farms on a busy tourist road through South Huron, revitalization began in 2011 to make it a gathering place for area families and travellers passing by. To tell this story, our quilt design needed to capture what the park has meant to this community. The square represents the parkland and a diamond for the long history of youth playing baseball at the park. The two intertwine symbolizing the connection between community, church and families supporting the children. Purple and gold were chosen to reflect the former Usborne Township colours. In the centre is a cross for the faithful stewardship of the church at the crossroads of Thames Road and Elimville Line. The sand colour reflects the playground where the children are beckoned from the north, east, south and west to come and play in God’s outdoor arena. Naming the quilt block was an easy task. “Cameron’s Legacy” honours Thomas and Margaret Cameron, who donated the land with their vision of blue sky, green grass, children, faith and families interconnecting to build community.
Name of sponsor of Barn Quilt : Thames Road Elimville Community Park
41391 Thames Rd E, Exeter, ON
Latitude : 43.36299 Longitude : -81.47213