In 1970, Jim and Thelma bought this 28 acre wedge of land, on the south side of a railway line. There is such interesting railroad history, connected to this corner. The Grand Trunk Railway, running from Sarnia to Stratford was built in 1859 and angled across farmland. In the early 1900`s, students in this area, wishing to obtain a high school education, in the absence of buses, boarded the train in Ailsa Craig in the morning, travelled to Lucan to the high school and returned by train later in the day. Passenger service ceased in 1956 and rail line was removed in 1990.
Years ago, a small hamlet, called “Gobblerville” developed at this corner; the name, derived from a great many wild turkeys found in this area was apparently given by the small native settlement close by. This small hamlet was well known for its baseball diamond and successful ball team. The native settlement, hamlet, baseball diamond and rail line have long since disappeared!
Name of sponsor of Barn Quilt : Thelma and Jim Marshall
4868 Maple Lodge Dr, Ailsa Craig,ON
Latitude : 43.16119 Longitude : -81.48601