Old Indian Trail - Present day Longwoods Road bears no similarity to the wilderness it was 200 years earlier. Thick growth did not allow sun to penetrate. Travelers frequently lost their way or encountered animals, soldiers or warriors. Swamp, snow, fallen leaves and steep ravines hindered...
Honouring Women of the War of 1812
In partnership with the women of the
CHIPPEWAS OF THE THAMES FIRST NATION – DESHKAN ZIIBIING
Starting out with a War of 1812 theme, it was realized that the War of 1812 has a major First Nations storyline that is rarely told or adequately explained. If the First Nations had not been with the British during the first two years of the war, southwest Ontario might now be part of the United States. Upper Canada might have fallen into American hands.
The Barn Quilts on Longwoods Road tell stories about how the War of 1812-1814 affected the lives of the families who lived in this area. The designs are based on the Longwoods Settler’s Quilt, which honours the triumphs and tragedies of the settler women of the War of 1812. Chippewa on the Thames has stitched a quilt called the Native Women’s Trail of Tears . South Caradoc has installed several barn quilts along Muncey Road that relate to their settlement history (1830s).
This trail is also a section of Route 1812, a heritage trail that loops from Amherstburg to Dundurn Castle in Hamilton.
A major sponsor was Sand Plains Community Development Fund. Dulux Paints donated the paint. Northcott Silk Inc. donated the fabric for three story quilts. The owners of the heritage barns along the Longwoods Road generously offered to host the barn quilts. More details about this project can be found at http://longwoodsbarnquilts.ca/
In 1811, the original Indian trail along an almost uninterrupted tract of Carolinian Forest known as “the Longwoods” was widened to accommodate gun carriages. Two hundred years later, this same section of road, the old King’s Highway #2, is an “arts corridor” lined with barn quilts.
Written by Mary Simpson, May 27, 2014